Prep 30 mins
Cook 2 hrs
I saw this recipe on an episode of Real Simple and although I have not tried it, it did catch my attention to make in the near future.
- 4 lbs chuck meat, cut into 3- to 4-inch pieces or 4 lbs precut stew meat
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 (750 ml) bottle red wine
- 1 1⁄2 lbs shallots, peeled
- 1 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 8 sprigs fresh thyme
- Heat oven to 300°F
- Season the beef with the salt and pepper.
- Heat the oil in a Dutch oven or ovenproof pot over medium-high heat. Add some of the beef to the pot and brown on all sides. Transfer to a plate. Repeat with the remaining beef. Spoon off and discard all but 1 tablespoon of the drippings.
- Add the wine and cook, stirring and scraping the bottom, for 3 minutes. Return the beef to the pot along with the shallots and broth. Bring to a boil. Skim any foam. Add the thyme. Cover and transfer to oven until the beef is tender, about 2 hours.
- Spoon into individual bowls.