Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
My favorite Rice-A-Roni stroganoff mix was discontinued and I was looking for a replacement for the recipe on the box using ground beef. So, I found a basic ground beef stroganoff recipe and adapted it. My husband says it's even better than the boxed one, and I agree. Hope you do too.
- 4 ounces fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 teaspoon salt (adjust to taste)
- 1 -2 clove garlic
- 1⁄4 cup dry sherry
- 1 (14 ounce) can beef broth
- 1 cup Minute Rice
- 1 cup sour cream
- fresh ground pepper
- In large skillet on medium heat, start browning ground beef, breaking it up as it cooks.
- When partially cooked, add salt, onions, garlic, and mushrooms and continue cooking until soft and ground beef browns.
- Add sherry to deglaze.
- Add beef broth and Minute rice, bring to boil, cover and simmer 10 minutes.
- Check rice and if needed, simmer another 5 minutes.
- Stir in sour cream and heat through, add pepper to taste.
well.. I still prefer the boxed.. sad that it's discontinued if you add less Sherry (I added less than half of what this recipe said..) and slightly less sour cream.. it actually tastes better