1/1 Photo of Beef and Rice Soup, Mexican Style
2 hrs 15 mins
This soup is so different, yet so delicious. Easy to prepare, just do your chopping and measuring of spices first, then all you need to do is make the soup. I can't really describe the flavor, except to say that is like no other soup I've had before--very "fresh" tasting--your tastebuds will thank you! From Easy Meals, Mexican. Don't let the long list of ingredients put you off. Doing the prep first makes it easy--chopping your veggies, and measuring the spices. And don't say yuck to the orage zest, raisins and chocolate. It all contributes the wonderfully fresh, lively taste of the soup!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 lb boneless stewing beef, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 2/3 cup red wine
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1 small fresh red chili pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 3 -4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 carrot, grated (I use the large holes on the 4 sided grater, so the pieces don't "disappear" in the soup)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 orange, zest of, grated
- 1 (14 ounce) can diced tomatoes, not drained
- 5 cups beef bouillon
- 1/4 cup long grain white rice
- 3 tablespoons raisins
- 1/2 ounce semisweet chocolate, chopped in small pieces
- chopped fresh cilantro, for garnish.
- 1Heat half the oil in a soup pot over medium high heat, add the meat and brown on all sides.
- 2Remove the pan from the heat, and add the wine.
- 3Pour the meat/wine mixture into a bowl and set aside, then put the soup pot back on the heat.
- 4Add the remaining oil and let it heat for a minute, add the onions, stir and cover for 3 minutes.
- 5Then add the green pepper, chile, garlic and carrot, stir and cover, cooking for 3 minutes.
- 6Then it's time to add the coriander, cumin, cinnamon, oregano, bay leaf and orange zest.
- 7Now add the tomatoes and bouillon, along with the beef/wine mixture--bring all of this to almost a boil, when it starts to bubble, reduce the heat to low and cover.
- 8Simmer gently for one hour, stirring occasionally.
- 9When the hour is up, add the rice, raisins and chocolate, cover again, and simmer for another 1/2 hour, until rice is tender.
- 10(you may need to raise the heat up a bit) Ladle into bowl and garnish with the cilantro.
Browse Our Top Meat Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Beef and Rice Soup, Mexican Style
Serving Size: 1 (375 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 572.0
- Calories from Fat 316
- Total Fat 35.1 g
- Saturated Fat 11.9 g
- Cholesterol 76.9 mg
- Sodium 1994.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 33.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.0 g
- Sugars 13.2 g
- Protein 25.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
oranges, zest of