Prep 45 mins
Cook 2 hrs
i got this recipe from the columbus dispatch. it called for potatoes which i omitted. i made it today and was very pleased with it. try your own seasoning such as bay leaf, thyme, paprika....
- 1 lb lean stewing beef, cubed
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 20 white pearl onions, peeled (or 1 lg. onion chopped)
- 4 large shallots, peeled
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (1 large) package mushroom, sliced
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 40 ounces water
- 6 knorr beef bouillon cubes
- 1 1⁄2 cups red wine
- 15 ounces tomato sauce
- 2 carrots, diced
- 2 celery ribs, diced
- 1⁄2 cup pearl barley
- coat beef cubes lightly with flour.
- in a large stock pot saute beef, shallots, onions, mushrooms and garlictill beef is browned and onion is tender.
- add remaining ingredients and simmer till barley is tender.