Recipe by mande237
Yummy winter dish that doesn't contain tomatoes. Most Beef and Red Wine Casseroles that I have come across have pureed tomatoes which my husband doesn't like so I made a few substitutions and this tastes really good.
- 800 g rump steak
- 250 g diced bacon
- 2 brush potatoes
- 1 sweet potato
- 1 carrot
- 1⁄2 cup peas
- 1 brown onion
- 1 cup red wine
- 1 cup beef stock
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons cornflour
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
Directions See How It's Made
- Peel and dice the potatoes and sweet potato into cubes.
- Peel carrot and slice into rounds.
- Finely dice the onion.
- Cut all fat off steak. Cut into cubes.
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Fry the bacon and onion together in a frypan. When cooked transfer to casserole dish.
- Next fry the steak in the frypan. No need to wipe pan clean first as the left over grease from bacon helps to flavour and fry the steak.
- When steak is cooked transfer it to the casserole dish.
- Place all of the vegetables into the casserole dish and mix everything together.
- Mix together red wine, beef stock, garlic, cornflour and salt and pepper to your liking.
- Pour the sauce into the casserole dish. Try to submerge as much in the sauce as you can.
- Place lid on casserole dish and put into oven. Cook for 45 minutes - 1 hour, stirring every 10-15 minutes.
- Casserole is cooked when fork can easily go into sweet potato.
- Serve with crusty bread rolls.