Chef #573036's Note:
From Food and Drink Magazine Holiday 2004. Serve with blanched broad rice noodles or steamed rice. Frying the rapini leaves ahead of time is messy but delicious. They become crisp and make a beautiful garnish as well as a texture highlight in the dish.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 12 ounces sirloin steaks
- 2 tablespoons white wine
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon chopped gingerroot (15 mL)
- 4 cups rapini
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup sliced onion
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- oyster sauce
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch, mixed with 1 tbsp water (15 mL)
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1Trim beef of fat, and slice against the grain into thin slices.
- 2Whisk together wine, sugar, soy sauce and grated ginger root in a bowl. Add beef, and marinate for 30 minutes.
- 3Trim about ½-inch (1-cm) from rapini stems and discard. Slice remaining stems into 1-inch (2.5-cm) pieces and reserve stems and leaves separately. Set aside about a third of the rapini leaves and sliver them.
- 4Heat ¼ cup (50 mL) oil in wok or deep skillet on high heat. Working in batches, carefully add slivered rapini and fry for 30 seconds to 1 minute or until crispy. Do not be alarmed, they crackle and hiss a bit. Drain on paper towels. Season with salt.
- 5Add more oil to the pan if necessary to make 2 tbsp (25 mL). Remove beef from marinade and season with salt and pepper. When oil is very hot add beef to oil. Do not crowd the pan. Work in batches, if necessary. Stir-fry until cooked on the outside but rare in middle, about 1 minute per batch. Remove meat and reserve.
- 6Wipe out pan. Return to heat and add 1 tbsp (15 mL) oil. When hot, add rapini stems and onion to oil and stir-fry 1 minute. Add 2 tbsp (25 mL) water, cover and cook 1 minute. Add leaves, cover and steam for 1 more minute.
- 7Stir in stock, vinegar and oyster sauce. Return meat and any juice. Stir everything together and drizzle in just enough cornstarch mixture to thicken sauce. Bring to boil stirring until thickened, then stir in sesame oil.
- 8Place in serving dish and garnish with slivered rapini.
Browse Our Top Meat Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Meat Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Beef and Rapini Stir-Fry
Serving Size: 1 (385 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 896.5
- Calories from Fat 621
- Total Fat 69.1 g
- Saturated Fat 19.2 g
- Cholesterol 168.4 mg
- Sodium 710.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 13.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.7 g
- Sugars 5.1 g
- Protein 50.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included: