1/9 Photos of Beef and Potato Stew
1 hr 30 mins
A hearty simple recipe cooked on the stove on those cold winters nights in many UK homes. More often than not this would be made with "old" potatoes peeled and cut into chunks but this time I've give it a little twist by using new potatoes.
My Private Note
small s ...
Units: US | Metric
- 2 medium sized onions, chopped
- 400 g minced beef
- 400 g new potatoes
- 20 ml olive oil
- 3 large carrots, cut into large pieces
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 cup garden peas (fresh or frozen)
- 1 liter beef stock
- 1/2 teaspoon celery salt (use sea salt if not available)
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon cornflour (for thickening if needed)
- 1Gently soften the onions in a large deep pan.
- 2Add the carrots and allow to soften a little.
- 3Add the beef and allow to colour.
- 4Stir in the chopped garlic, pepper and celery salt cooking in for a minute.
- 5Pour in the Worcestershire sauce.
- 6Add the potatoes.
- 7Add the peas.
- 8Add the stock and simmer for a good hour (the longer the better).
- 9To thicken the gravy, mix cornflour with a little cold water and mix into a paste, add this into the gravy.
- 10Often served with extra vegetables and pickled red cabbage or beetroot.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Beef and Potato Stew
Serving Size: 1 (618 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 885.8
- Calories from Fat 364
- Total Fat 40.5 g
- Saturated Fat 13.6 g
- Cholesterol 136.0 mg
- Sodium 2284.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 76.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 13.9 g
- Sugars 17.8 g
- Protein 53.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: