Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Healthy beef and portobello mushroom stew.
Make and share this Beef and Portobello Stew recipe from Food.com.
- 1 lb sirloin steak, trimmed of fat, cut into 3/4-inch cubes
- 1⁄3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 6 cups portabella mushroom caps, chopped (about 6 medium)
- 2 cups frozen pearl onions, thawed and patted dry
- 2 plum tomatoes, chopped
- 2 cups frozen cut green beans, thawed
- 1 (14 ounce) can reduced-sodium beef broth
- 2⁄3 cup red wine
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme or 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1.Place steak in a medium bowl and sprinkle with flour; turn to coat. Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the steak (reserving excess flour) and cook, stirring once or twice, until browned on most sides and still pink in the center, about 3 minutes. Transfer to a plate and tent with foil to keep warm.
- 2.Add mushrooms, onions and tomatoes to the pan and cook, scraping up any browned bits, until the vegetables have released their juices, about 3 minutes. Sprinkle the reserved flour over the vegetables; stir to coat. Add green beans, broth, wine, thyme, salt and pepper; increase the heat to high and bring to a boil, stirring often. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook, stirring often, until the broth has thickened, about 5 minutes. Add the steak and any accumulated juices and cook, stirring often, until heated through, about 2 minutes.