Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
I love the earthy flavor of portobello mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 (4 ounce) portabella mushrooms, stem removed, gills scraped and discarded, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup chopped yellow onion
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped green bell pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1⁄2 lb ground veal
- 1 cup coarse dried breadcrumbs
- 1⁄4 cup beef broth
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1⁄2 cup ketchup, divided
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- Tabasco sauce, to taste
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- In a small skillet over medium heat, melt the butter; add in mushroom, onion, bell pepper, and garlic; stir/saute about 5 minutes, until tender.
- Transfer to a big bowl, add in the remaining ingredients except ¼ cup ketchup; mix well.
- Transfer mixture into a lightly sprayed 9 x 5 inch loaf pan and gently pat down.
- Spread the reserved ketchup on top.
- Bake about 1 hour, until the loaf is firm and the top is lightly browned.
- Let stand in the pan for 5-10 minutes before serving.
- Remove the loaf from the pan and slice to serve.