Prep 35 mins
Cook 35 mins
Most of the beef and mushroom soup recipes here include barley. I have never used barley, but am rather curious about it. BUT, anyone who knows me knows a couple of things: I shop frequently at the salvage store and I will take a shortcut anywhere I can get it in the kitchen when I'm in an experimental mood. This recipes uses a Hamburger Helper mix and sounds pretty good for a quick winter weeknight meal. Great, too, if you're on a budget. Those boxes of Hamburger Helper are only a buck at the salvage store, so that works for me, who is always looking for a bargin.
- 1 lb beef roast, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 6 cups hot water
- 1 (6 3/4 ounce) box Hamburger Helper mix for beef pasta
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil, crushed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8-1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 (4 ounce) can mushroom stems and pieces, drained
- 2 teaspoons dried parsley
- In a 4 quart Dutch oven, cook the beef and onions until done.
- Drain any fat or liquid that remains.
- Stir in hot water, Sauce Mix, basil, salt, pepper and garlic.
- Heat to boiling, stirring constantly.
- Reduce heat.
- Cover; simmer 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in uncooked pasta and mushrooms.
- Cover; cook 10 minutes longer.
- Stir in parsley.
I loved it. The kids loved it. Super easy and super tasty, especially on a cold winter's night. It was gone in one day. I used cheeseburger Hamburger Helper and round steak, but forgot to add the parsley at the end. I also used 1/4 tsp of garlic powder like another reviewer. Thanks, Amy, for a wonderful legacy of recipes. UPDATE 3/10/08: Made it with Beef Pasta version of Hamburger Helper like I was supposed to in the first place, and added a sprinkling of dried parsley at the end. Still delicious, and even more so than before.
5 stars from everyone in the family, even the 3 year old! This was so easy to make, and was a hearty, flavorful soup! I smiled when I found Hamburger Helper on sale at the store for $1! We made this in honor of Amy's birthday (9/10). The only change I made was to add a bit of garlic powder. The directions mention adding garlic in step 3, but it's not mentioned in the list of ingredients, so I threw in a few sprinkles of garlic powder for good measure. Delicious!! Thank you, sweet girl, we miss you.