Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
I have tried so many pasta bakes but this one from the Australian Women's Weekly is still the best IMHO! Easy and very delicious, reheats great and everyone loves it - what more could you want! I've tried to translate the recipe into American as much as possible; hope you enjoy it as much as my family does.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 slices bacon, fat removed and finely chopped
- 1 carrot, finely chopped
- 500 g minced beef (1 pound)
- 440 g condensed tomato soup (14oz)
- 1⁄3 cup tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon tomato sauce (ketchup)
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 150 g spiral shaped pasta (uncooked)
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 180 (350F).
- Heat oil in large pan; cook onion, garlic, bacon and carrot, stirring, til carrot is just tender - about 8 minutes *.
- Add mince and cook, stirring, til mince changes colour; then add undiluted soup, tomato paste, sauce and oregano and simmer, covered, about 15 mins or til mixture has thickened slightly.
- While beef mixture is simmering, cook pasta and drain. Stir pasta into beef mixture, then spoon into an oiled deep 8 cup capacity ovenproof dish and sprinkle with cheese. Bake, uncovered, for 15 mins or until browned slightly.
- *If you want to, you can add a stick of chopped celery along with the onion etc or add some mushrooms just before the mince.
Quick and delicious. I added a little minced celery but otherwise followed exactly. Can't wait for the leftovers tomorrow!
Was a nice change from regular spaghetti sauce pasta bake. I made mine with less meat and more pasta, turned out fine!
Way better than I expected from the simple ingredients. Very good. Thanks for sharing.