southern chef in louisiana's Note:
This is a hearty and yummy stew--the smell is to die for.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/4 lbs beef stew meat, cut into 3/4-inch cubes
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup dry red wine
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 8 ounces peeled baby carrots
- 2 parsnips, peeled and cut into 3/8-inch slices
- 3/4 cup sugar snap pea
BEEF STOCK (use 4 1/2 cups)
- 1Preheat oven to 450°F
- 2Rinse bones in cold water. Place bones in large roasting pan; roast in oven 30 minutes, turning once.
- 3Arrange onions, carrots and celery over bones. Roast 30 minutes more.*.
- 4Transfer bones and vegetables to stockpot or 5-quart Dutch oven. Skim and discard fat from roasting pan.
- 5To deglaze roasting pan, add 2 cups water to pan. Cook over medium-high heat, scraping up brown bits and stirring constantly 2 to 3 minutes or until mixture has reduced by about half. Transfer mixture to stockpot.
- 6Add remaining 3 quarts water, parsley, bay leaves, thyme, peppercorns and cloves to stockpot. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low; simmer, uncovered, 3 to 4 hours, skimming foam off top occasionally.
- 7Remove stock from heat; cool slightly. Remove large bones. Strain stock through large sieve or colander lined with several layers of damp cheesecloth set over large bowl; discard bones and vegetables.
- 8Use immediately or refrigerate stock in tightly covered container up to 2 days or freeze stock in storage containers for several months.
- 9*For added zip, spread 3 ounces tomato paste over bones at this point. Roast an additional 15 minutes. Proceed as directed in step 3.
- 10Beef Stock.
- 11AFTER BEEF STOCK IS MADE continue with the stew by tossing beef in flour to coat. Heat oil in large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add beef and remaining flour; brown, stirring frequently.
- 12Stir in Beef Stock, wine, salt, Italian seasoning and pepper. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low; simmer, uncovered, 1 hour.
- 13Add carrots. Cook 15 minutes. Add parsnips. Simmer 8 minutes or until vegetables and meat are tender.
- 14Stir in peas. Cook and stir over medium heat until heated through.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Beef and Parsnip Stew
Serving Size: 1 (1006 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 5
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 323.3
- Calories from Fat 98
- Total Fat 10.9 g
- Saturated Fat 3.0 g
- Cholesterol 72.5 mg
- Sodium 661.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 25.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.7 g
- Sugars 7.1 g
- Protein 27.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
dried Italian seasoning