Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Cook1 hr 30 mins
When you are in the mood for soup but don't want to cook all day, try this one. It calls for lean beef cubes, carrots, celery,onions and a hint of tomato. Serve it with orzo pasta and topped with grated Italian cheese-very heart warming.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs round steaks, cut into small cubes
- 2 cups thickly chopped carrots
- 1 cup diced celery, leaves included
- 1 large onion, cut into small wedges
- 4 quarts water
- beef bouillon
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- salt and pepper
- 8 ounces small shell pasta (such as orzo or acini di pepe)
- grated Italian cheese (such as parmesan, romano or asiago)
- Fill soup pot with water and place beef cubes in the pot.
- Heat on high until it comes to a boil, skim off scum that rises to the top, then lower heat to medium high, for about 45 minutes to an hour.
- Add beef bullion to taste, then all vegetables and tomato paste.
- Boil on medium, covered for an additional 30 minutes,or until veggies are tender.
- When veggies are tender, add salt and pepper to taste.
- In a separate saucepan, cook up small soup pasta until done.
- Drain,rinse and put back in small saucepan, to which you have added about a cup of the liquid from the soup pot.
- When you are ready to serve the soup in individual bowls, spoon in some pasta, ladle in the soup, then top with a generous amount of fresh or shredded sharp Italian cheese.
Just the kind of thing I like. So easy to throw together and I usually have most of the ingredients in the house. I used a can of diced tomoatoes instead of the tomato paste and some of the water. More or less followed the recipe otherwise. Yum. Thanks for sharing. :)