Prep 24 hrs
Cook 2 hrs 30 mins
A nice change from a boring beef stew, this one contains oranges, red wine and cloves for a realy warming and tasty dish. Serve with baked or mashed potatoes or crusty bread - yum!
- 907.18 g stewing beef, cut into cubes
- 141.74 g bacon, chopped
- 14.79 ml all-purpose flour
- 208.19 ml red wine
- 208.19 ml beef stock
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 bay leaves
- 4 cloves
- 1 sprig thyme
- 2 oranges, 1 zested and both juiced
- 198.44 g baby carrots
- 4 stick celery
- fresh ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 300ºF. Heat the olive oil in a large casserole dish, which has a tight-fitting lid, and add the cubed meat. Brown all over, then add the bacon to the pan and cook for a few moments.
- Sprinkle in the flour, stir well, then add the wine and stock, mixing thoroughly to combine.
- Add the red onion and garlic to the daube, along with the bay leaves, cloves, thyme, orange juice and zest. Simmer, then add the carrots, celery and pepper and put the lid on before placing in the oven for 1 hour 40 minutes.
- Remove the casserole from the oven. Allow to cool before storing in the fridge overnight to improve the flavours. When ready to use, reheat in the oven at 350ºF for 25 to 30 minutes.