2 hrs 30 mins
Easy-peasy inspiration for after-work meals and simple entertaining.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 1/2 lbs stewing beef, such as chuck steak, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 ounces butter
- 3 large onions, finely sliced
- 2 oranges, zest and juice
- 12 anchovies, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 cups red wine
- 1 lb chestnut mushrooms, quartered
- 1 1/4 quarts vegetable stock, hot
- 1 ounce fresh thyme, finely chopped
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 pinch fresh ground black pepper
- 1Preheat the oven to 300°F Heat 2 tablespoons of the oil in a large cast-iron pan, toss the meat in the flour, season well with salt and black pepper, then add to the hot oil with the bay leaf and stir.
- 2Cook, stirring occasionally, for 8–10 minutes, or until the meat is no longer pink, then add the butter and cook for 5 minutes, or until the meat is golden. Remove with a slotted spoon and put to one side.
- 3Add the remaining oil to the pan, then add the onions and cook over a low heat for 6–8 minutes, or until soft. Add the orange zest, raise the heat a little, then add the orange juice and stir to loosen all the sticky bits from the bottom of the pan.
- 4Stir in the anchovies, then add the wine and simmer over a high heat for 2 minutes. Stir in the mushrooms, add the stock and thyme, and season with salt and black pepper. Return the steak to the pan, cover with a lid, then put in the oven to cook for 2 hours, or until the meat is meltingly tender.
Browse Our Top Mushroom Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Beef and Orange Daube
Serving Size: 1 (356 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 399.4
- Calories from Fat 178
- Total Fat 19.7 g
- Saturated Fat 7.5 g
- Cholesterol 111.0 mg
- Sodium 410.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 13.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.8 g
- Sugars 6.8 g
- Protein 35.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included: