Recipe by Tansy.
A very tasty stew that goes beautifully with rice and a crisp mixed salad. I got the basic recipe from a book purchased from a second hand shop and have adapted it. I sometimes add mushrooms and also serve it with a dollop of sour cream.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs chuck steaks or 1 1⁄2 lbs beef blade steak
- 12 ounces onions
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon plain flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups beef stock
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon marjoram
- 1 tablespoon wine vinegar
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut meat across the grain into thin fingerlength strips.
- Peel onions, slice crossways and separate into rings.
- Put the butter and oil into frying pan.
- Add the onion rings and cook covered, over a low heat until transparent.
- Turn them over constantly so that they cook evenly, but do not brown- remove from pan.
- Increase heat, put strips of meat into pan and brown.
- Add onion rings, sprinkle with flour and stir.
- When flour begins to colour, pour in stock.
- Add peeled and crushed garlic, cumin, marjoram, wine vinegar, salt and pepper.
- Stir well, then cover and simmer for 1 hour over a moderate heat or until tender.