1/1 Photo of Beef and Onion Pot Pie/Stew
1 hr 15 mins
A hearty rich beef pie or casserole with a flavour that everyone will enjoy so much that you had better make enough for second helpings I made this by using what I had in my fridge today. remembering what I used was the hardest part, so I had to jot it down as I went along.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 250 g puff pastry (if making for a pot pie)
- 1 kg beef, stewing
- 1/2 cup flour (approx.)
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 2 onions, large, cut into thin slices
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 cup mushroom, button, thick slice
- 2 celery ribs, small dice
- 2 carrots, thick sliced
- 1 tablespoon tomato puree (heaped)
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 teaspoon basil, dry
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano, dry
- 2 beef bouillon cubes
- 1 ham stock cube
- salt and black pepper
- 1Strip any fat off the meat then cut into medium dice, prepare all the vegetables.
- 2Place the flour in a large plastic bag, then add half the meat, shake it about and get all the meat coated then do the same with the other half.
- 3Using either a frying pan or skillet, add half the oil and seal the meat, in two batches then set to one side.
- 4Heat the remaining oil in a large saucepan adding the onion, celery and garlic, cooking slowly for 3-4 minutes.
- 5Add the stock cubes, tomato puree, herbs, pepper and salt and the water ( do not add it all if you feel it will be too much ) and bring to the boil.
- 6Add the meat and simmer for 45 minutes this is where you can add the remaining water, but it should not quite cover the ingredients) then add the diced carrot. cook for a further 15 minutes Stir occasionally. Thicken if you feel the gravy is on the thin side.
- 7For a Pot pie, pre heat the oven to 200c.
- 8Using about 250 grams of pasty roll out until quite thin. place ingredients in the pie dish and cover with the pastry in the usual way. I only use pastry as a lid, I dont line the pie with pastry as well. Cook in the oven for at least 30 minutes.
- 9serve with mashed potatoes and a vegetable of your choice if serving as a casserole serve with vegetables of your choice.
Browse Our Top Savory Pies Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Savory Pies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Beef and Onion Pot Pie/Stew
Serving Size: 1 (263 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 550.9
- Calories from Fat 239
- Total Fat 26.6 g
- Saturated Fat 6.7 g
- Cholesterol 96.7 mg
- Sodium 430.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 34.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.4 g
- Sugars 3.6 g
- Protein 42.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
ham stock cube