Recipe by buzzsau
This recipe is from my husband's mother who lives in Iowa. I had never seen the stuff before in my life until I went to visit her. It is just a basic, no frills added beef and noodles. I have added the addition of a few things from Penzeys.com. I think it adds the perfect touch to a plain, but good beef and noodles. Also, I think it is better after cooling off in refrig and then reheating in microwave. Try it!
- 2 -3 lbs chuck roast
- 1⁄8 cup dried onion, Penzey's, dried, minced and toasted
- 2 teaspoons beef roast seasoning, Penzey's
- 8 -10 cups water
- salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 24 ounces egg noodles, Reames Frozen
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat stock pot on medium until hot.
- Add vegetable oil.
- Salt and pepper chuck roast liberally.
- Put chuck roast in hot oil and brown for approximately 5 minutes on each side until nicely browned all over.
- Add dried minced onions, Penzey's beef roast seasoning and water.
- Cook approximately 3 hours on low until very tender and will shred easily.
- Remove meat and let cool; shred. I am really picky about fat so I pick all the fat off of all the meat.
- Drain fat from top of leftover broth by using a ladle and place just below surface--fat will slowly pour into ladle. It is just a lot of unneeded fat.
- If you have an insert for your stock pot that is a strainer/colander insert, place in stock pot now and add water to the broth, enough water to be able to cook noodles. Add 2 tablespoons salt to water and bring to boil.
- Add all of Reames noodles and cook in boiling water for 20 minutes.
- Drain Reames noodles well of all the water.
- Add to shredded, cooled meat and salt and pepper to taste.
- Now eat and enjoy!