Prep 20 mins
Cook 15 mins
In 'The Six O' Clock Scramble' by Aviva Goldfarb
- 1 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard, mustaqrd
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 lb cubed stewing beef
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 8 ounces sliced mushrooms
- 3 large celery ribs, chopped
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh dill
- 1⁄8 cup red wine
- 1⁄8 cup soy sauce
- Remove the sour cream from the refrigerator so it warms slightly.
- Stir the mustard into the sour cream and set it aside.
- In a large heavy skillet, heat the oil over med-high heat.
- Sear the meat (cook without moving it) on all sides for about 1 minute until it is no longer pink on the outside.
- With a slotted spatula or spoon, transfer the meat to a plate.
- Using the same skillet, decrease the heat to medium and add the butter.
- Add the mushrooms, celery, and dill and saute them for about 5 minutes until they are softened.
- Add the wine and soy sauce and continue cooking the mixture for about 5-7 minutes until the vegetables are very tender and most of the liquid is absorbed.
- If the vegetables get too dry, add 1/4 cup water to the skillet.
- Return the meat to the skillet and cook it for 2-3 minutes until it is cooked through.
- Decrease the heat to low, let the temperature lower for a minute, and stir in the sour cream mixture until it is warmed through; taste and adjust seasoning with salt and pepper.
- Remove it from the heat; serve it over egg noodles.