Prep 1 hr
Cook 2 hrs
Let me tell you a story about this recipe. I made this back in September and my boyfriend and I agreed it was the best beef stew we had ever tasted. Ever. So I cut it out to save it, only to promptly lose it a few days later. Undeterred, I scoured the Real Simple magazine (where I found it) recipe database -- it wasn't there. I called their customer service -- they didn't have access to it either. I searched the web, with no luck. I even posted a recipe request on 'Zaar. Finally, I called customer service again and ordered a back issue of the magazine. I was truly a woman obsessed. So now that the back issue has arrived, I'm posting it online so I never have to worry about losing it again :) This is really an amazing dish, and it was worth all the effort to have this back in my recipe archive.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 lbs chuck steaks, cut into 1 1/2-inch chunks
- 2 medium sweet onions, roughly chopped
- 1 cup sweet marsala wine or 1 cup sherry wine
- 5 cups beef broth
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1⁄2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 1⁄2 lbs mixed mushrooms, roughly chopped (such as portobello, shiitake, and button mushrooms)
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme or 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 (7 1/2 ounce) package biscuit mix
- 2 tablespoons chopped mixed fresh herbs (such as thyme, chives, and flat-leaf parsley)
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Working in batches, cook the meat until browned on all sides, 5-7 minutes. Transfer to a plate.
- Add the onions to pan and cook for 7 minutes. Add the Marsala or sherry and cook, stirring for 1 minute. Return meat to pan, along with the broth, tomato paste, salt and pepper. Cover and transfer to oven.
- Heat the remaining oil and the butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the mushrooms and cook until browned, about 5 minutes. Add the thyme and cook for 1 minute.
- After the stew has been in the oven for 1 hour, 15 minutes, add the mushrooms. Cover and return to oven for 45 minutes more.
- Meanwhile, prepare the biscuit mix according to the package directions, adding the chopped fresh herbs. Drop the biscuit dough in heaping tablespoons on top of the stew. Return pan to oven and cook, uncovered, for 15 minutes. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
- To make in advance: Remove the stew from oven aftere 1 hour, 15 minutes and let cool. Do not cook the mushrooms or add them to the casserole. Cover and refrigerate overnight. To finish cooking, brown the mushrooms and continue as directed.