1/2 Photos of Beef and Mushroom Stew
3 hrs 25 mins
The sour cream is an unusual add-in for a beef stew, but it adds a lovely richness. This stew is definitely homey, but good enough for company.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 slices bacon, finely chopped
- 1 onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 carrot, peeled and sliced into thick coins
- 1 stalk celery, thickly sliced
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (you can use less, if you wish)
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 lbs stewing beef, in large cubes
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 1/2 cups peeled white pearl onions (optional)
- 1/2 lb button mushroom, cleaned and left whole
- 1 cup sour cream (lowfat is fine)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf Italian parsley
- 1In a Dutch oven over medium heat, melt butter and add oil.
- 2Add bacon pieces to fat and cook, stirring often, until bacon starts to brown.
- 3Add onion, garlic, carrots, celery, worcestershire, and herbs and spices.
- 4Cook, stirring often, until onion is softened (it takes about 5 minutes).
- 5Pat beef cubes dry with a paper towel, if necessary, then dredge in flour until cubes are evenly coated.
- 6Increase heat under Dutch oven to medium-high and cook beef, adding a few pieces at a time to pan; let pieces brown before adding new ones.
- 7When all beef cubes have browned, add wine to pan and cook for 1 minute, stirring and scraping up any brown bits on bottom of pan.
- 8Add chicken stock and bring to a boil.
- 9Reduce heat to low, partially cover pot, and let simmer for one hour.
- 10Stir in pearl onions; if you don't want to be bothered peeling the pearl onions, substitute 1-1/2 cups of cubed yellow onion.
- 11Continue to cook on low heat, partially covered, for another hour.
- 12Remove pot lid and add mushrooms; simmer for 30 additional minutes; beef should be very tender.
- 13Just before serving, remove pot from heat and stir in sour cream and parsley; return to heat to heat through; DO NOT ALLOW TO BOIL.
- 14Taste, add more salt and pepper if necessary, fish out bay leaf (if you can find it) and discard, and serve.
- 15I serve it with rice (personal preference) but mashed potatoes or egg noodles also work well.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Beef and Mushroom Stew
Serving Size: 1 (313 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 623.8
- Calories from Fat 413
- Total Fat 45.9 g
- Saturated Fat 19.7 g
- Cholesterol 130.8 mg
- Sodium 503.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 14.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.5 g
- Sugars 3.6 g
- Protein 33.9 g