1/2 Photos of Beef and Mashed Potato Casserole
1 hr 10 mins
Chris from Kansas's Note:
This is a fantastic version of Shepard's Pie. The flavor is rich and savory. Perfect for a Fall or Winter evening. I adapted it from a recipe I found in Taste of Home magazine. The original is credited to Helen McGeorge.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1/4 lb fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 2 large carrots, finely chopped
- 2 celery ribs, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon dried tarragon
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon kitchen bouquet browning sauce
- 3 cups hot mashed potatoes
- 3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 1In a skillet, cook beef until no longer pink; drain.
- 2Toss onion, mushrooms, carrots and celery in flour; add to skillet with the broth, Worcestershire sauce, tarragon and pepper.
- 3Bring to a boil; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered for 15-20 minutes or until the vegetables are tender. Add Kitchen Bouquet and stir to combine.
- 4Transfer to a 2-qt baking dish. Combine potatoes and 1/2 cup cheese; spread over beef mixture.
- 5Sprinkle with paprika and remaining cheese.
- 6Bake, uncovered at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes or until heated through.
- 7Broil 4 inches from the heat for 5 minutes or until bubbly.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Beef and Mashed Potato Casserole
Serving Size: 1 (242 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 242.7
- Calories from Fat 88
- Total Fat 9.8 g
- Saturated Fat 4.8 g
- Cholesterol 49.5 mg
- Sodium 495.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 21.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.4 g
- Sugars 3.5 g
- Protein 17.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: