Prep 15 mins
Cook 2 hrs
Delicious and hearty casserole.
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 1⁄2 cups sliced celery
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground beef
- 1⁄2 cup beef broth
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 (19 ounce) can Italian-style tomatoes (or use regular and 2 t italian seasoning)
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 lb fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon basil
- 8 ounces macaroni, cooked,and drained
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen spinach, drained
- 1⁄2 cup soft breadcrumbs
- 1⁄3 cup grated parmesan cheese
- Heat 2 T of the oil in lg skillet, saute onions until tender.
- Add garlic, celery, and beef; cook until beef is done.
- Add broth, tomato paste, tomatoes, salt and pepper.
- Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer for 45 minutes.
- Stir occasionally, add more broth if mixture becomes too thick.
- Preheat oven to 350*.
- Heat remaining oil, saute mushrooms briefly.
- Add to sauce with oregano and basil.
- Add macaroni and spinach.
- Pour into buttered 3qt casserole dish.
- Top with crumbs mixed with the cheese.
- Bake for 40-50 minutes, until bubbly hot.