Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Not having any barley, I decided to try a recipe from my favourite soup cookbook. Against my usual practice, I added 1/2 tsp of salt to the soup pot. It does add to the flavour.
- 1 lb beef shank
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- 6 cups water
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme, preferably fresh or 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1 clove
- 1⁄3 cup no-salt-added tomato sauce
- 3⁄4 cup red lentil
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- Add olive oil to a soup pot. Over moderately high heat, brown soup bone. Add onion and garlic and cook over moderately low heat until onion is transparent.
- Add 2 cups water and the tomato sauce and simmer until beef is tender.
- Add spices, potato and lentils and the rest of the water and simmer over low heat until the lentils have lost all definition and potatoes are tender, approximately 25 minutes.
- Season to taste. I added 1/2 tsp of salt which seemed about right for me.