Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 35 mins
The lentils add a lot of flavour to the meat balls. Very good served with garlic mashed potatoes and a green veggie. from Cooking for Diabetics.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 2 celery ribs, finely chopped
- 2 large carrots, finely chopped
- 16 ounces lean ground beef
- 1 cup brown lentils (7oz)
- 1 (14 ounce) can plum tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 1⁄4 cups vegetable broth
- 3⁄4 cup dry red wine
- 2 -3 tablespoons low-sodium worcestershire sauce
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- sea salt
- ground black pepper
- 4 onions, finely chopped
- 2 (14 ounce) cans plum tomatoes
- 4 tablespoons dry red wine
- 3 fresh dill sprigs, finely chopped
- Start by making the tomato sauce.
- Combine the onions, canned plum tomatoes and red wine in a saucepan.
- Bring to a boil, lower the heat, cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Puree the mixture in a blender or food processor, then return it to the saucepan and set it aside.
- Make the meatballs.
- Heat the oil in a large heavy saucepan and cook the copped onions, celery and carrots for 5 to 10 minutes, or until the onions and carrots are softened but not browned.
- Add the ground beef and cook over high heat, stirring frequently, until the meat is lightly browned.
- Add the lentils, tomatoes, tomatoe paste, bay leaves, vegetable broth and wine.
- Mix well and bring to a boil, breaking up the tomatoes with a spoon.
- Lower the heat and simmer for 20 to 30 minutes, until the liquid has been completely absorbed.
- Remove the bay leaves, then stir the worcestershire sauce into the lentil mixture.
- Remove the pan from the heat and add the eggs and parsley.
- Season with salt and pepper and mix well, then allow the mixture to cool.
- Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 350f degrees.
- Shape the beef mixture into neat balls, rolling them in your hands.
- Arrange in an ovenproof dish and bake for 25 minutes.
- While the meatballs are baking, reheat the tomato sauce.
- Just before serving, stir in the chopped dill.
- Pour the tomato sauce over the meatballs and serve.