Recipe by Pietro
It is simple. It is delicious. It has few ingredients but the result will surprise you.
Top Review by KiwiMumOfOne
I just tried this last night, and it was super tasty and really easy! The red wine and beef stock made the loveliest meaty gravy. I cooked mine in a crockpot (for about 6 hours on autoshift), and added mushrooms (about 4 hours in), but followed the rest of the recipe properly. We had ours with mashed potatoes, and it was great. Thanks. I will definitely do this one again :-)
- 1 leek
- 500 g of quality stewing beef
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 1 carrot
- 1 yellow onion
- bay leaf
- plain flour
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- sea salt
- ground black peppercorns
- 1 beef stock cube
- olive oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Top and tail leek so that you have the white stalk only.
- Slice leek lengthwise and then chop into 1 inch segments.
- Chop carrot into bite size segments.
- Chop onion.
- Place flour and seasoning into a bag.
- Place beef into the bag and shake so that beef is coated with flour and seasoning.
- In a heavy base frypan, place 1 or 2 tablespoons of oil.
- On low heat brown beef, remove and place into a casserole.
- Add a little more oil and stir fry leek, onion and carrot for 2 minutes.
- Remove and add to casserole.
- Place the red wine and the stock cube in the frypan and simmer until wine is reduced to half.
- Add to casserole.
- Add thyme and 2 bayleaf.
- Place in a moderate oven and cook slowly for about 90 minutes.
- Place a lid on the casserole to obtain best results.
- Serve with mashed potato,steamed french beans with an oil and garlic dressing and steamed button squash or baby zucchini.