1/1 Photo of Beef and Kidney Casserole, With Unusual Seasonings
1 hr 50 mins
1 hr 40 mins
Easy, a no-brainer oven casserole. Please believe me, even if you hate anchovies, you CAN NOT taste anchovies used in this way, as they melt completely and only add flavour to the stew! And if you hate kidneys, use beef only. All the elements in this very simple comfort casserole sort of melds, so no one flavour stands out. If you ever decide to make it, try not to substitute or leave out ingredients. In the end it is nothing more than a simple main dish. Serve it with brown rice and a green veggie like fresh green steamed beans.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb beef, chunks (preferable tender meat, about 820 g)
- 3/4 lb lambs kidney, cut into chunks (or use 1 3/4 lb beef, about 820g)
- 4 tablespoons flour (60ml)
- seasoning, of your choice added to the flour
- 1 onion, large, chopped (preferably red onion)
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped, crushed
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 cup beer (250 ml, and in the US you can use a little more than a cup)
- 3/4 cup green olives, drained, pitted (200 ml)
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest, roughly grated
- 6 anchovy fillets
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 4 tablespoons capers, chopped
- handful chopped parsley
- 1Preheat oven to 350 deg F/180 deg C, but you might want a lower heat for convection ovens.
- 2If using lamb kidneys, make sure the kidneys are clean and the outer "skin" have been peeled of. Cut each kidney into 2 - 3 chunks and remove the tough white bit.
- 3Use a tender meat such as rump steak, and cut into larger-than-bite-size chunks.
- 4Mix your choice of seasoning salt (about 2 heaped tablespoons) into the flour. Roll the meat chunks in flour.
- 5Peel and roughly chop the onion, and prepare the garlic.
- 6Put the meats, onion and garlic into a casserole dish, and sprinkle over the Worcestershire sauce, and add the chopped onion.
- 7Pour over the cup (or slightly more) of beer.
- 8Cover lightly with foil, and bake for about 1 1/2 hours.
- 9Drain and keep the olives ready, as well as the lemon zest. In the meantime, cook brown rice and a veggie to serve, and prepare the following.
- 10Fry the 6 anchovy fillets in the oil (which should merely be rubbed into the bottom of a small pan). The anchovy will disintegrate. Add the chopped capers, and stir it all together until you have a sort of paste.
- 11Add the olives and lemon zest to the casserole in the oven about 10 minutes before you take it out.
- 12Take out the casserole when ready, and drop in bits of the anchovy-caper mixture, stir in, and sprinkle over the parsley.
- 13Serve with rice and a green vegetable.
- 14* Do not add salt to this dish unless it's needed when finished. Anchovies and capers are salty.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Beef and Kidney Casserole, With Unusual Seasonings
Serving Size: 1 (345 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 370.3
- Calories from Fat 120
- Total Fat 13.3 g
- Saturated Fat 3.2 g
- Cholesterol 357.7 mg
- Sodium 1110.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 15.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.9 g
- Sugars 1.8 g
- Protein 42.1 g