Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr 40 mins
Easy, a no-brainer oven casserole. Please believe me, even if you hate anchovies, you CAN NOT taste anchovies used in this way, as they melt completely and only add flavour to the stew! And if you hate kidneys, use beef only. All the elements in this very simple comfort casserole sort of melds, so no one flavour stands out. If you ever decide to make it, try not to substitute or leave out ingredients. In the end it is nothing more than a simple main dish. Serve it with brown rice and a green veggie like fresh green steamed beans.
- 1 lb beef, chunks (preferable tender meat, about 820 g)
- 3⁄4 lb lambs kidney, cut into chunks (or use 1 3/4 lb beef, about 820g)
- 4 tablespoons flour (60ml)
- seasoning, of your choice added to the flour
- 1 onion, large, chopped (preferably red onion)
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped, crushed
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 cup beer (250 ml, and in the US you can use a little more than a cup)
- 3⁄4 cup green olives, drained, pitted (200 ml)
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest, roughly grated
- 6 anchovy fillets
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 4 tablespoons capers, chopped
- handful chopped parsley
- Preheat oven to 350 deg F/180 deg C, but you might want a lower heat for convection ovens.
- If using lamb kidneys, make sure the kidneys are clean and the outer "skin" have been peeled of. Cut each kidney into 2 - 3 chunks and remove the tough white bit.
- Use a tender meat such as rump steak, and cut into larger-than-bite-size chunks.
- Mix your choice of seasoning salt (about 2 heaped tablespoons) into the flour. Roll the meat chunks in flour.
- Peel and roughly chop the onion, and prepare the garlic.
- Put the meats, onion and garlic into a casserole dish, and sprinkle over the Worcestershire sauce, and add the chopped onion.
- Pour over the cup (or slightly more) of beer.
- Cover lightly with foil, and bake for about 1 1/2 hours.
- Drain and keep the olives ready, as well as the lemon zest. In the meantime, cook brown rice and a veggie to serve, and prepare the following.
- Fry the 6 anchovy fillets in the oil (which should merely be rubbed into the bottom of a small pan). The anchovy will disintegrate. Add the chopped capers, and stir it all together until you have a sort of paste.
- Add the olives and lemon zest to the casserole in the oven about 10 minutes before you take it out.
- Take out the casserole when ready, and drop in bits of the anchovy-caper mixture, stir in, and sprinkle over the parsley.
- Serve with rice and a green vegetable.
- * Do not add salt to this dish unless it's needed when finished. Anchovies and capers are salty.