1/1 Photo of Beef and Kasha Mexicana
PSU Lioness's Note:
Trying to eat healthier but also looking to save money on dinner? Mixing ground meat with whole grains is a good way to do both. Here, kasha, a whole grain made from buckwheat, adds a delicious toasty flavor when mixed with ground beef, while also stretching the meat to make six servings. (From Betty Crocker's "Money Saving Meals" cookbook).
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 453.59 g extra lean ground beef or 453.59 g extra-lean ground turkey
- 1 small onion, chopped (1/2 cup)
- 236.59 ml buckwheat groats or 236.59 ml dried kasha, kernels uncooked
- 411.06 g diced tomatoes, undrained
- 127.57 g can chopped green chilies, undrained
- 28.34 g package low-sodium taco seasoning
- 473.18 ml frozen whole kernel corn, thawed
- 354.88 ml water
- 236.59 ml reduced-fat cheddar cheese, shredded
- 29.58 ml fresh cilantro, chopped (optional)
- 29.58 ml ripe olives, sliced (optional)
- 1In a 12" skillet, cook ground beef and onion over Medium-High heat for 5-7 minutes, stirring occasionally, until beef is thoroughly cooked; drain.
- 2Stir in buckwheat kernels until moistened by beef mixture.
- 3Stir in tomatoes, chiles, taco seasoning mix, corn and water; heat to boiling.
- 4Cover; reduce heat to Low. Simmer 5-7 minutes, stirring occasionally, until buckwheat is tender.
- 5Sprinkle cheese over buckwheat mixture. Cover and cook 2-3 minutes or until cheese is melted.
- 6Sprinkle with cilantro and olives before serving, if desired.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Beef and Kasha Mexicana
Serving Size: 1 (377 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 251.6
- Calories from Fat 44
- Total Fat 4.9 g
- Saturated Fat 1.9 g
- Cholesterol 46.8 mg
- Sodium 61.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 34.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.7 g
- Sugars 3.6 g
- Protein 21.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
low-sodium taco seasoning
reduced-fat cheddar cheese