Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
This is a hardy casserole, our friend Joe, loves making this. He changes up the sausage from time to time but always uses something with a kick to it.
- 453.59 g hot Italian sausage or 453.59 g sweet Italian sausage, casings removed
- 453.59 g ground beef
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 9.85 ml dried oregano, crumbled
- 4.92 ml dried thyme, crumbled
- 793.78 g can Italian plum tomatoes, drained (reserve 2 tablespoons juice)
- 29.58 ml tomato paste
- 1.23 ml dried red pepper flakes
- 425.24 g can kidney beans, rinsed, drained
- salt and pepper
- 453.59 g mostaccioli pasta, cooked al dente, drained
- 118.29 ml grated parmesan cheese
- 59.14 ml chopped fresh Italian parsley
- nonstick cooking spray
- 340.19 g fontina or 340.19 g provolone cheese, grated
- Cook first 6 ingredients in large heavy saucepan over medium-high heat until sausage and beef are brown, crumbling with fork, about 5 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, 2 tablespoons juice (from tomatoes), tomato paste and pepper flakes; simmer 5 minutes, breaking up tomatoes with back of spoon.
- Add kidney beans and heat through.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Add mostaccioli, Parmesan and parsley and toss to combine.
- Spray 9-by-13-inch baking pan with nonstick spray.
- Transfer mixture to prepared pan.
- Sprinkle with cheese.
- Bake until cheese melts, about 30 minutes.