This is a hardy casserole, our friend Joe, loves making this. He changes up the sausage from time to time but always uses something with a kick to it.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb hot Italian sausage or 1 lb sweet Italian sausage, casings removed
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano, crumbled
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme, crumbled
- 1 (28 ounce) can Italian plum tomatoes, drained (reserve 2 tablespoons juice)
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/4 teaspoon dried red pepper flakes
- 1 (15 ounce) can kidney beans, rinsed, drained
- salt and pepper
- 1 lb mostaccioli pasta, cooked al dente, drained
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh Italian parsley
- nonstick cooking spray
- 12 ounces fontina or 12 ounces provolone cheese, grated
- 1Cook first 6 ingredients in large heavy saucepan over medium-high heat until sausage and beef are brown, crumbling with fork, about 5 minutes.
- 2Add tomatoes, 2 tablespoons juice (from tomatoes), tomato paste and pepper flakes; simmer 5 minutes, breaking up tomatoes with back of spoon.
- 3Add kidney beans and heat through.
- 4Season with salt and pepper.
- 5Add mostaccioli, Parmesan and parsley and toss to combine.
- 6Spray 9-by-13-inch baking pan with nonstick spray.
- 7Transfer mixture to prepared pan.
- 8Sprinkle with cheese.
- 9Bake until cheese melts, about 30 minutes.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Beef and Italian Sausage Casserole
Serving Size: 1 (398 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 799.0
- Calories from Fat 365
- Total Fat 40.6 g
- Saturated Fat 18.3 g
- Cholesterol 126.1 mg
- Sodium 1359.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 61.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.0 g
- Sugars 7.1 g
- Protein 46.3 g