Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
This is a hardy casserole, our friend Joe, loves making this. He changes up the sausage from time to time but always uses something with a kick to it.
- 1 lb hot Italian sausage or 1 lb sweet Italian sausage, casings removed
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano, crumbled
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme, crumbled
- 1 (28 ounce) can Italian plum tomatoes, drained (reserve 2 tablespoons juice)
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried red pepper flakes
- 1 (15 ounce) can kidney beans, rinsed, drained
- salt and pepper
- 1 lb mostaccioli pasta, cooked al dente, drained
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh Italian parsley
- nonstick cooking spray
- 12 ounces fontina or 12 ounces provolone cheese, grated
- Cook first 6 ingredients in large heavy saucepan over medium-high heat until sausage and beef are brown, crumbling with fork, about 5 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, 2 tablespoons juice (from tomatoes), tomato paste and pepper flakes; simmer 5 minutes, breaking up tomatoes with back of spoon.
- Add kidney beans and heat through.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Add mostaccioli, Parmesan and parsley and toss to combine.
- Spray 9-by-13-inch baking pan with nonstick spray.
- Transfer mixture to prepared pan.
- Sprinkle with cheese.
- Bake until cheese melts, about 30 minutes.