Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
Hearty and warming, this meatloaf main course will satisfy the whole family. Any leftover meatloaf may be sliced, and the cold slices wrapped in freezer bags and frozen for up to 1 month Allow the meatloaf to defrost before reheating it The onion gravy may be frozen in an ice-cube tray making it easy to defrost just a small amount of gravy to serve with each slice that has been frozen.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground beef
- 1 medium egg, beaten
- 1 medium onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons thyme, freshly chopped or 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 4 ounces medium oatmeal
- 2 tablespoons horseradish sauce
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
For the onion gravy
- 1 ounce butter
- 1 tablespoon sunflower oil
- 2 onions, peeled and sliced
- 1 teaspoon superfine sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 beef stock cube
- liquid gravy browner or gravy salt
- Set the oven to 350°F.
- Put the ground beef into a bowl with the remaining ingredients and mix well.
- Press mixture into a 2lb buttered loaf tin and place this in a deep roasting tin.
- Pour boiling water into larger tin, to come about halfway up the loaf tin.
- Place in the centre of the oven and bake for 1 1/2 - 1 3/4 hours, or until the juices are clear when the loaf is pierced with a skewer.
- To make the gravy:.
- Melt the butter in a large pan and add the oil.
- Add the sliced onions and sprinkle the sugar over.
- Cook the onions over a low heat for 15-20 mins, stirring occasionally, until a pale golden colour.
- Add the flour and mix well.
- Gradually pour in 2 1/2 cups boiling water, stirring well to give a smooth sauce.
- Crumble in the stock cube and add gravy browning or gravy salt to colour as desired.
- Bring to a gentle simmer, and cook for 2-3 mins, then season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Remove the pan from the heat.
- To serve:.
- When the loaf is cooked, remove it from the oven and lift the loaf tin out of the roasting tin.
- Leave for about 10-15 minutes, then tip out any excess juices from the tin.
- Turn the loaf out on to a plate and cut it into slices to serve.
- Reheat the gravy, bring to the boil and pour it over the slices.