1 hr 10 mins
Hearty and warming, this meatloaf main course will satisfy the whole family. Any leftover meatloaf may be sliced, and the cold slices wrapped in freezer bags and frozen for up to 1 month Allow the meatloaf to defrost before reheating it The onion gravy may be frozen in an ice-cube tray making it easy to defrost just a small amount of gravy to serve with each slice that has been frozen.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 lbs ground beef
- 1 medium egg, beaten
- 1 medium onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons thyme, freshly chopped or 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 4 ounces medium oatmeal
- 2 tablespoons horseradish sauce
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
For the onion gravy
- 1Set the oven to 350°F.
- 2Put the ground beef into a bowl with the remaining ingredients and mix well.
- 3Press mixture into a 2lb buttered loaf tin and place this in a deep roasting tin.
- 4Pour boiling water into larger tin, to come about halfway up the loaf tin.
- 5Place in the centre of the oven and bake for 1 1/2 - 1 3/4 hours, or until the juices are clear when the loaf is pierced with a skewer.
- 6To make the gravy:.
- 7Melt the butter in a large pan and add the oil.
- 8Add the sliced onions and sprinkle the sugar over.
- 9Cook the onions over a low heat for 15-20 mins, stirring occasionally, until a pale golden colour.
- 10Add the flour and mix well.
- 11Gradually pour in 2 1/2 cups boiling water, stirring well to give a smooth sauce.
- 12Crumble in the stock cube and add gravy browning or gravy salt to colour as desired.
- 13Bring to a gentle simmer, and cook for 2-3 mins, then season to taste with salt and pepper.
- 14Remove the pan from the heat.
- 15To serve:.
- 16When the loaf is cooked, remove it from the oven and lift the loaf tin out of the roasting tin.
- 17Leave for about 10-15 minutes, then tip out any excess juices from the tin.
- 18Turn the loaf out on to a plate and cut it into slices to serve.
- 19Reheat the gravy, bring to the boil and pour it over the slices.
Browse Our Top Meat Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Beef and Horseradish Meatloaf & Onion Gravy
Serving Size: 1 (210 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 420.7
- Calories from Fat 226
- Total Fat 25.2 g
- Saturated Fat 9.8 g
- Cholesterol 118.3 mg
- Sodium 232.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 21.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.9 g
- Sugars 3.9 g
- Protein 26.0 g