2 hrs 30 mins
katie in the UP's Note:
Recipe found in Cooking Light March/2010. There isn't one thing we would change...which is rare for us!!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 lbs boneless beef chuck roast, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 5 cups chopped onions
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 4 cups fat, free less sodium beef stock
- 1 (11 1/4 ounce) bottle Guinness draught
- 1 tablespoon raisins
- 1 teaspoon caraway seed
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 1/2 cups carrots, sliced
- 1 1/2 cups parsnips, sliced
- 1 cup turnip, cubed
- 2 tablespoons flat leaf parsley, chopped fine
- 1Heat 1 1/2 tbls oil in a Dutch oven over med high heat.
- 2Place flour in a shallow dish, sprinkle beef with 1/2 tsp salt; dredge beef in flour.
- 3Add half of beef to pan; cook 5 minutes turning to brown on all sides.
- 4Remove beef from pan with a slotted spoon.
- 5Repeat procedure with remaining oil and beef.
- 6Add onion to pan; cook 5 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally.
- 7Stir in broth and beer, scraping pan to loosen brown bits.
- 8Return meat to pan.
- 9Stir in remaining 1/2 tsp salt, raisins, caraway seeds and pepper; bring to a boil.
- 10Cover and reduce heat, simmer 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
- 11Uncover bring back to boil cook 30 more minutes.
- 12Add vegetables reduce heat to low and cook 30 minutes (cover pan).
- 13Uncover and simmer 10 more minutes.
- 14Sprinkle with chopped parsley.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Beef and Guinness Stew
Serving Size: 1 (395 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1354.9
- Calories from Fat 1172
- Total Fat 130.2 g
- Saturated Fat 60.4 g
- Cholesterol 189.9 mg
- Sodium 404.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 22.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.9 g
- Sugars 8.0 g
- Protein 23.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: