Recipe by davinandkennard
Worked this recipe up yesterday and shared with neighbors. They told me it was a keeper and so I share it with you. I am lucky that my local Raleys carries ready made mirepoix If not here is Julesong's recipe for it: http://www.recipezaar.com/119171
- 3 lbs stewing beef
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 3 cups mirepoix
- 1 (8 ounce) bottleguinness extra stout beer
- 1 lb button mushroom, whole
- 2 turnips, peeled and diced
- 1 parsnip, peeled and diced
- 10 small yellow potatoes, halved
- 10 baby carrots
- 3 cups beef broth, as needed (or more)
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine flour, a big pinch of salt, thyme and a hefty dose of pepper in a bag, add the beef and shake like a mad man.
- Heat the oil in a large pot and little by little brown the stew meat on all sides. Remove and add the mirapoix to the pot. Scrape the bottom to get all the brown goodies off the bottom. When wilted add back the beef. Pour in the bottle of Guinness. When the foam dies down add the button mushrooms, sprigs of fresh thyme and add sufficient beef broth to cover.
- Cover and simmer. Stir occasionally to keep from scortching.
- When the beef is almost tender and the sauce reduced add the rest of the veggies and continue to cook until tender.
- Be careful with the salting as the sauce will concentrate.