4 hrs 50 mins
4 hrs 30 mins
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 3 1/2 cups beef stock
- 4 lbs beef chuck, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1 1/2 lbs white mushrooms
- 1 large yellow onion, peeled and sliced
- 6 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme
- 2 cups Guinness stout (or other dark stout)
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- salt and pepper
- 1 egg, for egg wash
- 1 lb puff pastry, frozen or homemade
- 1Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- 2Put tomato paste into a large bowl and whisk in stock until paste is dissolved.
- 3Add beef, mushrooms, onions, garlic, thyme and stout.
- 4Stir well.
- 5Sprinkle flour over beef mixture and season with salt and pepper.
- 6Stir well.
- 7Transfer to a deep 10 1/2 x 12 1/2 ovenproof baking dish and cover with foil.
- 8Bake stirring occasionally until meat is very tender- 3 1/2- 4 hours.
- 9Beat egg with 1 tsp water in a small bowl.
- 10Roll out puff pastry on a lightly floured surface to about 1/4 inch thick and 2 inches larger than the baking dish.
- 11Remove baking dish from oven, remove foil and drape pastry over dish.
- 12Brush with egg wash.
- 13Return dish to oven and bake until pastry is puffed and deep golden brown- about 40 minutes.
Browse Our Top Savory Pies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Beef and Guinness Pie
Serving Size: 1 (1243 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1697.3
- Calories from Fat 741
- Total Fat 82.3 g
- Saturated Fat 28.4 g
- Cholesterol 239.6 mg
- Sodium 1002.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 100.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.0 g
- Sugars 5.0 g
- Protein 72.6 g