My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 lbs stewing beef, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 4 cups Guinness stout
- 1 garlic clove
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 cup homemade beef stock
- 2 stalks celery, sliced
- 2 large carrots, peeled and sliced
- 1 large onion
- salt & fresh ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons fresh flat-leaf parsley, minced
- 1 bouquet garni (containing 3 sprigs fresh parsley, 1 sprig fresh thyme, 8-10 peppercorns, and 1 bay leaf)
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/2 cup cold water
- 3 -4 large mushrooms, sliced (optional)
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 pinch salt
- 1/3 cup vegetable shortening, such as Crisco
- 1/3 cup unsalted kerrygold irish butter, cut into small pieces
- 1/3 cup ice water
- 2In a large container with lid, combine the beef, 2 cups Guinness, garlic (crush with heal of hand or blade of knife) and bay leaves.
- 3Cover and refrigerate for 24 hours.
- 4Drain and discard marinade, garlic and bay leaves.
- 5In a large saucepan over medium heat, bring the marinated beef, remaining 2 cups Guinness, and beef stock, Beef Stock or broth to a boil.
- 6Reduce heat to medium low, cover and simmer for 1 to 1 1/2 hours, or until the meat is tender.
- 7Skim off any foam that rises to the top.
- 8Add the celery, carrots, onion, salt, pepper, parsley and bouquet garni and cook for 15 to 20 minutes, or until the vegetables are slightly tender.
- 9In a small bowl, combine the cornstarch and water, whisk until smooth.
- 10Stir into the filling, and cook for 2-3 minutes, or until the liquid is thickened.
- 11Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- 13Combine, flour, salt, shortening and butter in a food processor fitted with a metal blade.
- 14Pulse 4 to 5 times, or until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- 15Sprinkle in 4 tablespoons of the ice water, pulse 4 to 5 times, and if needed, add the rest of the water and pulse again.
- 16Form dough into a disk and wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- 17On a floured surface, roll out the dough to a circle 12 inches in diameter.
- 18Remove the bouquet garni, stir in the mushrooms if using, and transfer the filling to a 10-ince deep-dish pie plate.
- 19Cover with the pastry, crimp the edges, and cut a few slits in the top to allow steam to escape.
- 20Brush the top with the egg wash.
- 21Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, or until the top is golden and the mixture is bubbling.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Beef and Guinness Pie
Serving Size: 1 (1703 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1376.6
- Calories from Fat 267
- Total Fat 29.7 g
- Saturated Fat 13.0 g
- Cholesterol 154.8 mg
- Sodium 504.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 102.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.3 g
- Sugars 2.5 g
- Protein 47.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included: