Prep 0 mins
Cook 0 mins
This freezes well.
- 1 kg blade steak
- 1⁄4 cup oil
- 4 onions
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups Guinness stout
- 2 cups beef stock
- 4 slices bacon, chopped
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 orange, rind pared only
- Cut steak into 5cm pieces. Heat oil in a large frying pan and brown over a moderately high heat until well browned. Transfer to casserole dish.
- Peel and quarter the onions and break into "petals", add to the pan and cook them for about 3 minutes, then add the garlic and cook for one more minute.
- Sprinkle the flour over the onion and stir well to coat the onions in the oil.
- Gradually pour in the stout and beef stock and bring to the boil to make a smooth sauce.
- Pour over the meat in the casserole dish, then stir in the bacon, thyme and orange rind.
- Cook at 160 C for 1 1/2 - 2 hours or until the meat is tender.
- Serve with mashed potatoes.
Flavours of the beef and guinness integrated over night - classic "next day" meal. Orange rind gave a bitter aftertaste - I would substitute orange juice next time.