Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
Originally from Eating Well Magazine. Outstanding and fast.
- 1⁄2 lb 96% lean ground beef
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fennel seed
- 3 cups diced eggplants (about 1/2 medium)
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 (8 ounce) cans no-salt-added tomato sauce
- 1 cup red wine
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano or 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 2 teaspoons pine nuts, toasted
- 1⁄2 cup crumbled feta (optional)
- Cook beef, garlic and fennel seeds in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat, until the beef is browned, about 3 minutes.
- Add eggplant and oil; cook, stirring occasionally, until the eggplant browns, about 5 minutes.
- Add tomato sauce and wine; cook, stirring occasionally, until the sauce thickens, about 10 minutes.
- Stir in oregano, salt and pepper.
- Serve topped with the sauce and sprinkled with pine nuts and feta, if using.