Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
My 100th recipe! Found this in an old book, *McCall's Casserole Cookbook.* I've yet to make it (I don't usually post first, but this is an auspicious occasion), but certainly will do soon!
- pastry for single-crust pie
- 1 small eggplant (about 1 pound)
- 88.74 ml butter
- 118.29 ml onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 340.19 g ground chuck
- 14.79 ml parsley, chopped
- 59.14 ml celery top, chopped
- 4.92 ml Worcestershire sauce
- 4.92 ml salt
- 0.25 ml pepper
- 226.79 g can tomato sauce
- Roll out pastry to an 11-inch circle. Use to line 9-inch pie plate; crimp edge decoratively. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- Cut unpeeled eggplant into ½-inch cubes; measure 2 cups.
- In 4 tablespoons hot butter in medium saucepan, cook eggplant, covered, 5 minutes; drain.
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Melt rest of butter in medium skillet. In it, sauté onion and garlic until onion is tender – about 5 minutes.
- Add chuck and rest of ingredients to skillet; mix well. Cook, over medium heat, 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add eggplant to meat mixture, turn into pie shell. Bake 45-60 minutes, or until crust is golden. Serve hot.