Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
My 100th recipe! Found this in an old book, *McCall's Casserole Cookbook.* I've yet to make it (I don't usually post first, but this is an auspicious occasion), but certainly will do soon!
- pastry for single-crust pie
- 1 small eggplant (about 1 pound)
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 3⁄4 lb ground chuck
- 1 tablespoon parsley, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup celery top, chopped
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 dash pepper
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- Roll out pastry to an 11-inch circle. Use to line 9-inch pie plate; crimp edge decoratively. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- Cut unpeeled eggplant into ½-inch cubes; measure 2 cups.
- In 4 tablespoons hot butter in medium saucepan, cook eggplant, covered, 5 minutes; drain.
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Melt rest of butter in medium skillet. In it, sauté onion and garlic until onion is tender – about 5 minutes.
- Add chuck and rest of ingredients to skillet; mix well. Cook, over medium heat, 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add eggplant to meat mixture, turn into pie shell. Bake 45-60 minutes, or until crust is golden. Serve hot.