Prep 18 mins
Cook 50 mins
This is an excellent dish for freezing. I do individual servings for easy defrosting and heating. Hearty dinner for families and guests.
- 453.59 g lean ground beef
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 1 green pepper, diced
- hot sauce, to taste
- 14.79 ml crushed Italian spices
- 1 medium eggplant, peeled and sliced into 3/8 inch slices
- 425.24 g canof diced Italian tomatoes, drained
- 591.47 ml cornbread stuffing mix
- 304.75 g can cream of celery soup
- 236.59 ml milk
- salt and pepper
- 354.88 ml mozzarella cheese, grated
- 59.14 ml parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- In a skillet, brown ground beef, chopped onion and green pepper; drain well.
- Add Italian Seasonings to meat mixture; add diced tomatoes.
- Mix lightly.
- Blend cream of celery soup, hot sauce to taste, and 1 cup milk.
- Spread about 1/4 cup of meat sauce in oil-sprayed baking dish; then layer eggplant, meat mixture, stuffing and top with half of soup mix; repeat.
- Top with grated cheese and bake for 45-50 minutes.
- Let set for 5-10 minutes before serving.
- Top with grated Parmesan cheese.
- Freezes well in individual servings.
I just had to try this recipe because I love eggplant. I'm glad I did because we all loved it! The layers allowed us to have a little different taste treat with every forkful. Sometimes we tasted more of the stuffing; sometimes more of the eggplant, etc. It's an outstanding recipe. And my son said he loved the big mushrooms -- which were really the eggplant. Aha, he tried something new without even knowing it. Also, I used two cans of soup and twice the milk because I wanted to be sure it would be creamy, but I should have made it as written. It was a little too creamy, so next time I'm making it exactly as Caroline wrote it.