Recipe by nranger7
My favorite casserole! Got the recipe from Mom. Not sure where she found it. It seems like a lot of onions, but it's really yummy - unless you hate onions, I guess! I don't like mushrooms so I don't use them. Never tried using the green pepper rings either. The original recipe says to use either a 12 oz can of corn or a 10 oz package of frozen peas. I tried using peas once, but we didn't like it. If you'd like to use peas instead of corn, the recipe says to sprinkle them on top before adding the dumplings. Don't let them bake for 2 hours with the rest of the ingredients... Mom never made the dumplings with parsley or sage. I tried making the dumplings with sage and parsley once and didn't like it. And I hate to admit it, but I have no clue what salad oil is, so I use vegetable or olive oil.
- 2 lbs round steaks, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 2 medium sliced onions
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 (10 ounce) can cream of chicken soup
- 1 (10 ounce) can French onion soup
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 (4 ounce) can sliced mushrooms, drained
- 1⁄3 cup flour
- 1 (12 ounce) can corn, drained
- green pepper ring (optional)
- 1 egg
- 1⁄3 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons salad oil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sage (optional)
- 1 cup flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons minced parsley (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine first 9 ingredients in a 3 quart casserole.
- Cover and bake in 350 degree oven for 2 hours.
- Take from oven and remove bay leaf.
- If using pepper rings, place them in the center.
- Reset oven to 400 degrees.
- To make dumplings, combine egg, milk, oil, parsley and sage.
- Add dry ingredients, stirring until moistened.
- Drop dumplings by rounded teaspoonfuls.
- Bake and additional 20 to 25 minutes.