Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
I love cornbread, and this just fits the bill. Almost a cold weather recipe, but when you makes this, it becomes an any time recipe! I make this all the time for when my usual Monday Night Football Armchair Quarterbacks come over! We seldom get to go to their houses because they want what I cook! They always say, "but you cook so good". I'm sure a lot of you know what I mean! I hope you like it, and let me know how it goes for your own MNFB crowd! Enjoy! This doubles and triples great. Here's a tip: I used to buy the cans of tomatoes and green chilis, such as Rotel), but since they are pricey, I buy the tomatoes and green chilis separately. You will get more for the money and you will have enough to double or triple the recipe. If I have leftover chilis and tomatoes, I freeze them for something else. Top this with my salsa #218314!
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon dried onion
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 (16 ounce) can tomatoes
- 1 (4 ounce) candiced green chili peppers, drained
- 3⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2⁄3 cup cornmeal (I use the yellow)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 beaten eggs
- 1 (8 3/4 ounce) can creamed corn
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 3 tablespoons cooking oil
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- Brown ground beef, drain fat.
- Stir in next 4 ingredients, then stir in undrained tomatoes and chili peppers. Cook and stir until thick and bubbly.
- Combine flour, cornmeal and baking powder.
- Combine eggs, corn, milk and oil. Stir into dry ingredients.
- Add cheese. Stir until moistened.
- Spread half of batter into a greased 9x9x2-inch pan.
- Spoon mixture over that.
- Top with remaining batter.
- Bake at 375°F about 30 minutes or until golden brown.
- Let stand 5 minutes. Cut into squares.
This was bursting with flavor and fun to put together. We didn't have football going, but it's Monday night and I had plenty of hungry eaters. Everyone thought this was great. It didn't seem like much batter when I assembled this, but the cornbread baked up generous and golden. This is perfect for cornbread lovers, and would be heaven on a wintry night. Thanks so much -- I look forward to making more of your recipes! (P.S. My pieces weren't square because I put it in an oval dish)