Prep 30 mins
Cook 2 hrs
A hearty Mexican Stew with tender cornbread dumplings. Much of the prep time can be done the day before.Prep time does not include doing the chiles.
- 1 lb fresh poblano chile, rinsed
- 1 1⁄2 lbs beef skirt steaks, trim fat
- 2 onions, peeled and chopped
- 2 teaspoons minced or pressed garlic
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 cups fat-skimmed beef broth
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen corn
- 1⁄4 cup cornstarch
- 1 1⁄4 cups yellow cornmeal
- 1 1⁄4 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄3 cup thinly sliced green onion, including tops
- 1 large egg
- 1 1⁄4 cups low-fat buttermilk
- Place chilies in a 10-by-15-inch pan.
- Broil 4 to 6 inches from heat, turning as needed until blackened on all sides, about 15 minutes.
- (I do this on a burner) Then I put them in a plastic bag for about 10 minutes.
- Peel and discard peels, stems, seeds, and viens.
- Cut chilies into about 1/2 inch pieces.
- Meanwhile, rinse meat and pat dry, cut into 1/2-by 1-inch pieces.
- In a 5 to 6 quart pan over high heat, stir meat, onions, garlic, tomato paste and 1/2 cup broth until liquid evaporates and meat and onions are browned, about 25 minutes.
- Add chilies, remaining broth, 2 cups water and oregano.
- Bring to a boil; cover, reduce heat, and simmer until meat is very tender when pierced with a fork.
- about 1 hour.
- Stir in corn.
- In a bowl, blend cornstarch and 1/2 cup water until smooth, add to pan and stir over high heat uitil mixture boils.
- Pour stew into a 3-quart cassrole (about 9x13 inch).
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Dumplings; In a bowl, combine cornmeal, flour, baking powder, sugar, 1/2 teaspoon salt and green onions.
- In another bowl, beat egg to blend; mix in buttermilk.
- Add egg to cornmeal mixture and stir just stir until evenly moistened.
- Drop 1/4- cup portions evenly over stew.
- Bake about 20 minutes, until dumplings are firm and lightly browned.
- Spoon portions into bowls, add salt to taste.
- NOTE; May be assembled thruogh step 9, up to 1 day ahead.
- Chill airtight.
My family really enjoyed this. Great recipe!