2 hrs 30 mins
Barb Gertz's Note:
A hearty Mexican Stew with tender cornbread dumplings. Much of the prep time can be done the day before.Prep time does not include doing the chiles.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb fresh poblano chile, rinsed
- 1 1/2 lbs beef skirt steaks, trim fat
- 2 onions, peeled and chopped
- 2 teaspoons minced or pressed garlic
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 cups fat-skimmed beef broth
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen corn
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1 1/4 cups yellow cornmeal
- 1 1/4 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup thinly sliced green onion, including tops
- 1 large egg
- 1 1/4 cups low-fat buttermilk
- 1Place chilies in a 10-by-15-inch pan.
- 2Broil 4 to 6 inches from heat, turning as needed until blackened on all sides, about 15 minutes.
- 3(I do this on a burner) Then I put them in a plastic bag for about 10 minutes.
- 4Peel and discard peels, stems, seeds, and viens.
- 5Cut chilies into about 1/2 inch pieces.
- 6Meanwhile, rinse meat and pat dry, cut into 1/2-by 1-inch pieces.
- 7In a 5 to 6 quart pan over high heat, stir meat, onions, garlic, tomato paste and 1/2 cup broth until liquid evaporates and meat and onions are browned, about 25 minutes.
- 8Add chilies, remaining broth, 2 cups water and oregano.
- 9Bring to a boil; cover, reduce heat, and simmer until meat is very tender when pierced with a fork.
- 10about 1 hour.
- 11Stir in corn.
- 12In a bowl, blend cornstarch and 1/2 cup water until smooth, add to pan and stir over high heat uitil mixture boils.
- 13Pour stew into a 3-quart cassrole (about 9x13 inch).
- 14Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- 15Dumplings; In a bowl, combine cornmeal, flour, baking powder, sugar, 1/2 teaspoon salt and green onions.
- 16In another bowl, beat egg to blend; mix in buttermilk.
- 17Add egg to cornmeal mixture and stir just stir until evenly moistened.
- 18Drop 1/4- cup portions evenly over stew.
- 19Bake about 20 minutes, until dumplings are firm and lightly browned.
- 20Spoon portions into bowls, add salt to taste.
- 21NOTE; May be assembled thruogh step 9, up to 1 day ahead.
- 22Chill airtight.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Beef and Chili Stew with Cornbread Dumplings
Serving Size: 1 (364 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 435.8
- Calories from Fat 99
- Total Fat 11.0 g
- Saturated Fat 3.6 g
- Cholesterol 78.3 mg
- Sodium 539.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 53.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.4 g
- Sugars 8.3 g
- Protein 31.6 g