Prep 15 mins
Cook 5 mins
South Eastern recipe using a flavorful seasoning and is usually served with a side of peanut sauce. Cucumber is usually served with this dish and can be dipped in the peanut sauce.
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons turmeric
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1 pinch salt
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 1⁄4 lbs lean beef or 1 1⁄4 lbs chicken or 1 1⁄4 lbs lamb or 1 1⁄4 lbs pork, sliced thinly into strips
- Soak a package of small bamboo skewers in water for 2-3 hours.
- Prepare all ingredients and have at hand.
- Combine the seasoning ingredients in a medium size bowl and mix well.
- Mix the meat with the seasoning and marinate at room temperature for one hour or refrigerate overnight.
- Preheat a grill or broiler.
- Thread the marinated meat onto the skewers.
- Cook the satays over a hot fire or broil them in the oven for 3 to 5 minutes per side, or until done.
- Do not leave them unattended!
- Serve immediately on a garnished plate.
- The best flavor is from grilling, but you can broil skewers in the oven too.
- Use a cookie sheet lined with aluminum foil and cake rack to keep the skewers off the foil, otherwise they will simmer in their own juices, becoming tough and dry.