1/2 Photos of Beef and Cheese Tamale Pie
1 hr 15 mins
Vseward (Chef~V)'s Note:
This festive casserole is perfect for the holidays. It feeds a crowd and kids love it. This is the next best thing to the traditional tamales.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 1/2 lbs lean ground beef
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 (14 ounce) canned stewed tomatoes
- 2 cups fresh corn kernels or 2 cups frozen corn kernels
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 1/2 cups grated monterey jack pepper cheese, divided
- 1 1/2 cups grated sharp cheddar cheese, divided
- 3 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups yellow cornmeal
- 2 cups cold water
- 1 cup low-fat plain yogurt
- 1To prepare beef filling, combine onion, ground beef, garlic, oregano, cumin, salt and chili powder in a large skillet; sauté until beef is browned.
- 2Add tomatoes and corn and heat through. Remove from heat and stir in cilantro.
- 3Preheat the oven to 350°F Lightly grease a 13-by-9-inch casserole dish.
- 4To prepare cornmeal batter, combine chicken broth and salt in a large saucepan. Bring to a boil over high heat. Whisk together cornmeal and cold water until smooth. While broth is boiling, add cornmeal mixture all at once, whisking constantly. Stir over medium heat until thick and boiling. Cook 3 to 5 minutes or until the consistency of mashed potatoes. Stir in yogurt and cook 3 to 5 minutes, stirring often.
- 5Spread about two-thirds of the cornmeal batter in casserole. Add beef filling. Top with 1 cup pepper Jack and 1 cup Cheddar cheese. Spoon on remaining cornmeal batter and smooth with a spatula.
- 6To make the toppings, stir yogurt and cream together in a small bowl. Spoon lines of yogurt mixture and diced tomatoes across top. Sprinkle remaining cheeses over top.
- 7Place casserole dish on top of a large baking sheet. Bake 30 minutes; cover with foil and bake 30 minutes longer. Let stand 20 minutes before serving. Serve with sour cream and black olives.
Browse Our Top Savory Pies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Beef and Cheese Tamale Pie
Serving Size: 1 (398 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 438.1
- Calories from Fat 196
- Total Fat 21.8 g
- Saturated Fat 11.3 g
- Cholesterol 85.2 mg
- Sodium 882.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 33.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.8 g
- Sugars 6.9 g
- Protein 29.1 g