Recipe by Daniel'sWife
Hearty, and simple to prepare. This main dish satisfies young and old with a delicious, cheesy beef filling inside a tender pastry crust.
Top Review by MamaDonna
I'm Daniel'swife's mom and I've been making this simple, homecooked main dish for years. You gotta love beef, cheddar and mushrooms to enjoy this, but if you do, I think you'll find it scrumptious and easy. I love the simplicity of the crust. First grease a 8x8 pan (or better yet, a cast iron skillet) with butter flavored Crisco or butter. Then gently press the dough right into the pan. No rolling, and no mess! I've used the crsut for the base of other meals. Change the toppings up and make it your own!
- 1 lb ground chuck
- 1⁄4 cup onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 lb mushrooms, sliced or 4 ounces canned mushroom pieces, drained
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 3⁄4 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄3 cup shortening
- 6 tablespoons milk
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a skillet, brown the ground beef with the onion. Drain, then add the salt, pepper, and garlic powder.
- Mix in the sour cream and mushrooms.
- For the pastry crust, combine the flour, baking powder, and salt in a bowl.
- Cut in the shortening until the mixture resembles course meal.
- Add the milk, and combine until well moistened.
- Press the pastry dough into the bottom of a well greased 8x8 inch cast iron skillet, and about 1 inch up the sides.
- Spread the beef and mushroom mixture onto the pastry, and top with cheddar cheese.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until the crust is golden brown.