Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Ok, so this sounds disgusting but it is awesome! My mum came up with the idea when we were little and I have perfected it - well sort of. I make this differently every time and my weights are approximate so I hope it works out all right!
For the filling
- 450 g minced beef
- 400 g canned tomatoes
- 2 chopped tomatoes
- 80 g sliced mushrooms
- 1 sliced carrot
- 80 g green beans (or any other vegetable)
- 2 instant Oxo, cubes (gravy granules)
- salt and pepper
For the crumble topping
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter
- 2 cups plain flour
- 1 cup grated cheese (to taste, I use a mix of whatever is in the fridge, always strong cheese)
- salt and pepper
- grated cheese, for sprinkling
- Brown the beef.
- Add the tinned tomatoes.
- Add the oxo cubes - crumble them evenly over the top and then mix inches.
- Add the remaining ingredients.
- Hint: At this stage you can also add any other flavourings/herbs/spices/vegetables you like, this is a very flexible recipe!
- At this stage the beef should be quite liquidy. Don't take any out but turn the heat down and let it reduce naturally. Keep an eye on it so it doesn't become too dry. The ideal end product should look fairly dry but easily yield liquid when a spoon is pressed onto the mixture. This can take anything from 10-30 minutes, depending on what is added!
- While the mixture is reducing make the crumble.
- Put all of the crumble topping except for the cheese for sprinkling into a bowl and mix them so they look like chunky breadcrumbs.
- Put the beef mixture into an ovenproof dish.
- Pour the crumble mixture on top of the beef.
- Put in a 180C oven for 20 minutes.
- After the 20 minutes add the grated cheese to the top, put the crumble back in the oven for another 10-15 minutes (until the cheese is melted/brown/crispy according to taste).