Prep 45 mins
Cook 45 mins
Beef and Cabbage Turnovers - Beirocks 16 turnovers
- 1 (1/4 ounce) package active dry yeast
- 1 cup warm water
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 3 -3 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 lb ground beef
- 4 cups shredded cabbage
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon caraway seed (optional)
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- Dissolve yeast in warm water. Stir in sugar, oil, salt, egg and 1.
- cup of the flour. Beat until smooth. Mix in enough remaining flour.
- to make the dough soft but easy to handle. Turn onto well-floured.
- surface; knead until smooth, about 5 minutes. Place in greased.
- bowl; turn greased side up. Cover; let rise in warm place until.
- double, about 1 hour.
- Cook and stir beef until light brown. Stir in cabbage, onion, water,.
- salt, caraway seed and pepper. Heat to boiling, reduce heat. Cover.
- and simmer until cabbage is tender, about 15 minutes.
- Punch down dough. Roll into a 16-inch square and cut into 1 inch.
- squares. Place about 1/4 cup filling onto the center of each square,.
- bring corners up and together, then pinch to seal. Place seam side.
- down on a greased cookie sheet. Shape into rounds. Let rise again.
- until double, about 1 hour. Preheat oven to 375°F Bake until pastry.
- is light brown, about 20-25 minutes. Brush tops with butter. If.
- desired, wrap individually and freeze. If turnovers are prepared.
- ahead and frozen, they should be covered and reheated at 350F for.
- about 20-30 minutes.